The web is similar to a sea with no bounds. You can get almost anything from here. Truth be told, not all of us want everything the internet has to offer. For the same reason, you may want to block particular websites on Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or any other browser. Blocking websites isn’t a tedious task.
You can do it in different ways. In this article, you are going to get the easiest way to do so. Here, I will share two different methods to block sites. You can use the first one for any browser, not just Google Chrome.
Method 1: Editing the Host File
You need to do a little bit of editing by yourself in this method. Don’t worry! It is not a gurus move. It isn’t like coding an entire website. Just a few simple moves. Follow the steps given below.
- Step 1: First, you have to open My Computer (or This PC, depends on the Windows version).
- Step 2: Now, you should click on the address bar. We need to go to a specific location. The better way to do that is by copying the location address and pasting the same there. C: WindowsSystem32Driversetc
- Step 3: Hit Enter and you will get a new folder with unknown file types. Double-click on hosts. You will be asked to choose a program to open the file with. Select Notepad from the list.
- Step 4: Let’s imagine that you want to block www.facebook.com. Then, you need to enter the following code and web address at the end of the file.
- 127.0.0.1 facebook.comIf you want to block another site, you can replace facebook.com with the URL of that particular site.
- Step 5: Finally, go to File>> Save. You may be asked to provide admin privileges.
- Don’t worry! Providing it won’t affect the computer in any bad way.
- Alternative Method: In case you don’t want to fiddle with editing the file, you can download Hostsman. It is a desktop application that helps you edit hosts file from a convenient interface.
Method 2: Using a Browser Extension
As stated earlier, the previous method is universal. You can’t limit the blockage to the Chrome browser only using that way. Here, you get an exclusive method for Google Chrome.
Step 1: Open Chrome. Here, we seek the help of a third-party extension called Block site. You can install it on your chrome browser using the link given below.
- Step 2: When you want to block a site, visit that particular one and right-click on the web page.
- Step 3: You have to hover the mouse pointer over the Block site parent menu. And, choose Add Current Site to Blacklist.
- There you go! No one can visit that specific site from your Chrome browser unless it is removed from the list.
Disabling the extension helps you in getting rid of the blockage. For that, follow right-click>> options>> off. The Block site extension also provides you an uninstall protection. You can go to options>> uninstall protection after a right-click to prevent others from uninstalling the extension.
You have got two different methods to block specific websites in chrome (on your computer). Even if you use any other browser, you can use the first method. Do you have any doubts? Don’t forget to drop a comment below.