The web is similar to a sea with no bounds. You can get almost anything from here. Truth be told, not all of us want everything the internet has to offer. For the same reason, you may want to block particular websites on Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or any other browser. Blocking websites isn’t a tedious task. For more helpful articles, please visit Brighter Guide.
You can do it in different ways. In this article, you are going to get the easiest way to do so. Here, I will share two different methods to block sites. You can use the first one for any browser, not just Google Chrome.
Method 1: Editing the Host File
You need to do a little bit of editing by yourself in this method. Don’t worry! It is not a gurus move. It isn’t like coding an entire website. Just a few simple moves. Follow the steps given below.
- Step 1: First, you have to open My Computer (or This PC, depends on the Windows version).
- Step 2: Now, you should click on the address bar. We need to go to a specific location. The better way to do that is by copying the location address and pasting the same there. C: WindowsSystem32Driversetc
- Step 3: Hit Enter and you will get a new folder with unknown file types. Double-click on hosts. You will be asked to choose a program to open the file with. Select Notepad from the list.
- Step 4: Let’s imagine that you want to block www.facebook.com. Then, you need to enter the following code and web address at the end of the file.
- 127.0.0.1 facebook.comIf you want to block another site, you can replace facebook.com with the URL of that particular site.
- Step 5: Finally, go to File>> Save. You may be asked to provide admin privileges.
- Don’t worry! Providing it won’t affect the computer in any bad way.
- Alternative Method: In case you don’t want to fiddle with editing the file, you can download Hostsman. It is a desktop application that helps you edit hosts file from a convenient interface.
Method 2: Using a Browser Extension
As stated earlier, the previous method is universal. You can’t limit the blockage to the Chrome browser only using that way. Here, you get an exclusive method for Google Chrome.
Step 1: Open Chrome. Here, we seek the help of a third-party extension called Block site. You can install it on your chrome browser using the link given below.
- Step 2: When you want to block a site, visit that particular one and right-click on the web page.
- Step 3: You have to hover the mouse pointer over the Block site parent menu. And, choose Add Current Site to Blacklist.
- There you go! No one can visit that specific site from your Chrome browser unless it is removed from the list.
Disabling the extension helps you in getting rid of the blockage. For that, follow right-click>> options>> off. The Block site extension / chrome extension also provides you an uninstall protection. You can go to options>> uninstall protection after a right-click to prevent others from uninstalling the extension.
Block Websites on Mobile Devices
It is easy to block websites on your mobile phones as well. You can easily block access to unwanted sites from Safari and Google Chrome. Here’s how you can block any unwanted sites on your iPhone and Android devices.
- Step 1: Go to the iPhone ‘Settings’. Click on the ‘General’ option.
- Step 2: In the ‘General’ option, click on the ‘Restrictions’ option.
- Step 3: Before you use the Restriction option, users have to enable it. Once enabled, they can click on the option and enter the ‘Restriction’s password’.
- Step 4: Select ‘Websites’ from the list. There will be a couple of options to choose from. Either you can choose ‘Adult content’ or you can choose ‘a Specific Website’.
- Step 5: Add the specific site name and press enter. Once you select the site and press ‘Done’. The specific site won’t be accessible from your mobile device or Safari Web Browser.
- Step 1: The Android device has a specific app for blocking websites on mobile devices. Download the BlockSite App from Google Play Store.
- Step 2: Once installed, open the App and enable it. To enable the app, open the app, go to settings, enable the app. A pop-up will appear on the screen. Select the ‘Got It’ option and the app will be enabled.
- Step 3: Now, the BlockSite app is enabled on your Android device. Open the app again, select the ‘Block List’ from the option. Add the website names you want to block under the ‘Website’ option. Select ‘Done’ and the sites will be blocked.
- Step 4: You can also block the apps from the BlockSite App. Under the ‘Apps’ option in the BlockSite App, add the app name you want to block from your device.
- Step 5: Users can unblock all the block sites and apps anytime they want.
Once blocked, the websites won’t be accessible from Google Chrome from Android phones. From Desktop or from Mobile devices, once a specific website will be blocked, no other activities such as push notifications will stop appearing as well. You can block site by following all the tips and alternatives said above. You can always go to the chrome setting on your desktop, android, iphone, smartphone, tablet or PC and block all push notifications that pop up from your google chrome/ chrome browser.
Now you have different ways to block websites from computers and mobile devices. Blocking websites are best to save you from distractions while working. Also, it prohibits kids from seeing adult content on phone. If you have tried any of these methods or have any doubts, do let us know. Drop a comment below.