Thank you for making the choice to purchase an engagement ring. While we acknowledge that this may seem like a difficult undertaking, don’t worry—we’re here to assist.
We’ll give you insightful pointers and recommendations in this post to make sure you have a well-informed and easy time purchasing rings. We’ll assist you every step of the way, from selecting the ideal diamond shape to realizing the significance of approval.
So come with BrighterGuide as we set out on this thrilling adventure to find your partner the ideal ring!
- Before buying an engagement ring, consider key factors such as your fiancée’s style, budget, and where to purchase the ring to ensure an informed and successful purchase.
- Understanding the four Cs of diamonds (cut, color, clarity, and carat weight) and carefully selecting the diamond shape, metal, setting, and side stones are crucial steps in choosing the perfect engagement ring.
- Insurance is an important aspect to consider after purchasing an engagement ring, and exploring options such as homeowners or renters insurance and replacement insurance policies is recommended. Additionally, for those interested in ethical engagement rings, sourcing from brands that prioritize sustainability and lab-grown diamonds is a meaningful choice.
In this post, we’ll explore:
- Why Invest Your Time Finding the Right Ring for Your Partner
- What to Know Before Buying
- Essential Tips for Buying an Engagement Ring
- Insuring Your Engagement Ring
Why Invest Your Time Finding the Right Ring for Your Partner
It is vitally important to put in the time and effort necessary to find the perfect engagement ring for your partner. Finding an engagement ring that expresses your love and commitment while also reflecting your partner’s personal style is a more important consideration than simply selecting a stunning piece of jewelry.
In your search for the perfect engagement ring, your partner’s personal style should serve as your guide. Spend some time learning about their inclinations and observing the jewelry they currently own. Which styles—more modern and distinctive, or more traditional and timeless—do they favor? Regardless of whether they want a ring with elaborate details or a straightforward solitaire, think about the colors of metal that they like best.
The engagement ring you select will be a true reflection of your partner’s taste and personality if you take the time to get to know their personal style. The ring will have even more significance and specialness for them because of this meticulous attention to detail.
Related article: Diamond Buying Guide
What to Know Before Buying
You should consider three important factors before making an engagement ring purchase.
Prior to making any decisions regarding the ring, it’s critical to ascertain your fiancée’s preferences and sense of style.
Furthermore, you can find a stunning ring that fits your budget by creating a budget and learning how to save money.
To have a large selection and trustworthy sellers to pick from, it is imperative to know where to purchase the ring.
Know Your Fiancée’s Style
Purchasing an engagement ring should wait until we have become acquainted with our fiancée’s tastes and style. Finding the perfect engagement ring that she will adore and treasure requires careful consideration of this factor. When making a purchase, consider the following four crucial points:
1. Observe Her Look:
Observe her jewelry selections and clothing choices. Observe for any trends or reoccurring themes that may provide you with information about her choice in engagement ring style.
2. Evaluate Her Way of Life:
Consider what she does every day and if she would rather have a ring that is more robust or more delicate. Be sure the ring fits her lifestyle by taking into account things like her profession, interests, and personal preferences.
3. Obtain Opinions from Her Close Associates:
Get information about her ideal engagement ring by getting in touch with her family or best friend. They could provide insightful information that will aid in your decision-making.
4. Examine the Details Carefully:
See if she’s ever indicated any preferences or clues before. Note the type of stone, metal, and any particular design element she mentioned. That way, the engagement ring will be more likely to fit her particular preferences and style.
Read more: Most Affordable Diamond Shapes Guide
Know Your Budget
Before buying an engagement ring, it’s critical for us as buyers to have a firm grasp of our spending limits and to know the range of prices that we find acceptable. Finding a ring that suits our budget and our financial circumstances is made possible by being aware of our budget.
Cut, carat weight, color, and clarity are just a few of the variables that can affect diamond prices. As a result of having a budget, we can concentrate on locating the best ring that fits our budget.
We must never forget that our marriage will succeed regardless of the size of the ring. By talking to a reliable jeweler and making small concessions on the diamond’s quality, we can find a meaningful and lovely ring at an affordable price.
Know Where to Buy
Brilliant Earth and Blue Nile are two well-liked online retailers for engagement ring purchases. Engagement rings in a variety of designs, metals, and diamond choices are available from these internet merchants.
When selecting the store to purchase your engagement ring, keep the following points in mind:
1. Reputation and customer reviews: Do your homework on the jeweler’s reputation and go through previous customers’ comments to make sure you’re purchasing from a reliable source.
2. Superiority and Certification: Seek out jewelers who provide certified diamonds from recognized testing facilities, like the Gemological Institute of America (GIA). In doing so, the diamond’s quality and legitimacy are guaranteed.
3. Customization Options: If the jeweler allows you to select the type of metal, diamond shape, and setting, you should think about what options you have. You can use this to make an engagement ring that is special to you.
4. Returns and Customer Service: Verify the jeweler’s return and customer service policies, as well as their warranty choices. Having the freedom to exchange or return the ring if necessary is crucial, as is feeling secure in your purchase.
Aside from the ring itself, the place you purchase an engagement ring matters just as much. To ensure an enjoyable and fulfilling shopping experience, take these factors into consideration when selecting an online jeweler.
Continue reading: Anniversary Jewelry Gift Buying Guide
Essential Tips for Buying an Engagement Ring
There are a few key guidelines to remember when purchasing an engagement ring.
To make sure you’re getting the best quality stone, it’s first important to understand the four Cs of diamonds: cut, color, clarity, and carat weight.
Finding the perfect engagement ring also requires careful consideration of various diamond shapes and cuts, viewing the diamond in various lights, picking the ideal band metal, and picking the ideal setting.
Know the 4Cs
Understanding the four Cs—cut, color, clarity, and carat weight—is crucial when purchasing an engagement ring.
A diamond’s color grading can range from colorless to light yellow, but its cut determines how sparkly and visually appealing it is.
The price is determined by carat weight, while clarity takes imperfections into account.
We can choose the perfect diamond for our engagement ring by familiarizing ourselves with these four Cs.
The diamond’s cut should be taken into account when purchasing an engagement ring. An important component of the overall look is the cut of a diamond, which defines its brilliance and sparkle.
When thinking about a diamond’s cut, bear in mind these four crucial pointers:
1. For the most sparkle and brilliance, choose an Excellent or Ideal cut.
2. The diamond’s ability to reflect light may be impacted by cuts that are either too deep or too shallow.
3. Every diamond shape has different cut requirements, so take into account the shape of the stone, such as round, princess, or emerald.
4. A higher clarity grade can improve the diamond’s overall brilliance, so give it top priority as well.
An engagement ring’s overall appearance and value are greatly influenced by the color of the diamond, so it is important to take this into account when making your purchase. Diamonds are graded from D (colorless) to Z (light yellow) in terms of color. Higher quality and cost are associated with colorless diamonds, such as those with a D or E grade. Still, colorless to the unaided eye, slightly lower color grades (like F or G) can be more affordable. Color diamonds, on the other hand, are highly valued due to their vivid colors, such as fancy yellow or pink diamonds. To choose the ideal engagement ring, one must have a thorough understanding of the diamond’s color.
|D-E||Colorless||No visible color|
|F-G||Near Colorless||Slight color detectable by experts|
|H-I||Near Colorless||Slight color detectable by untrained eye|
|J-K||Faint Yellow||Slight yellow tint|
|L-Z||Light Yellow||Noticeable yellow or brown tint|
We are able to select a diamond that fits our needs and budget by taking the diamond’s color into account. The metal of the engagement ring setting, it should be noted, can also have an impact on the diamond’s color. When set in yellow gold as opposed to white gold, a diamond with a slightly lower color grade, for instance, might appear darker. The reason for this is that the diamond can catch the color reflected from the metal. Making an informed choice regarding the engagement ring is possible if we comprehend the correlation between metal and color.
Moving on to the next facet of a diamond’s quality, clarity, let’s talk about how important color is now.
Let us now examine the diamond’s clarity, a crucial factor to take into account when purchasing an engagement ring. In terms of diamond quality, inclusions or flaws within the stone are referred to as clarity. Four crucial points regarding clarity are as follows:
1. From FL (flawless) to I3 (included), there are various levels of clarity.
2. A diamond’s clarity grade and value increase proportionally with the number of inclusions it possesses.
3. Diamond transparency and brilliance can be impacted by inclusions.
4. To determine which diamond offers the best overall value, it’s critical to weigh clarity against other characteristics like cut and color.
It’s crucial to comprehend how the diamond’s carat weight influences its overall appearance and cost when looking for an engagement ring. We frequently come across different carat weights while shopping.
200 milligrams is one carat, which is the unit of measurement used to describe diamond size. The size and cost of the diamond rise in tandem with its carat weight.
When diamond shopping, it is critical to strike the ideal balance between carat weight, price range, and personal taste.
Explore the Diamond’s Shapes and Cuts
Examining the many diamond cuts and shapes available is crucial when purchasing an engagement ring. Diamond appearance and beauty can be significantly influenced by the diamond’s shape and cut. Four essential factors to take into account when investigating diamond shapes and cuts are as follows:
1. Diamond center stone: The diamond’s shape is commonly called the center stone. In addition to the round and princess, popular diamond shapes are cushion, pear, emerald, and round. Every form is appealing and has distinct qualities of its own.
2. Diamond shapes: A variety of visual effects can be produced by using different diamond shapes. Emerald cut diamonds, on the other hand, have a more sophisticated and elongated appearance. Round cut diamonds, on the other hand, are recognized for their brilliance and sparkle.
3. Diamond cut quality is the result of a diamond’s excellent facets and shape. The brilliant sparkle of a well-cut diamond is produced by its ability to reflect light. A diamond’s brilliance can be increased by selecting one with an excellent cut.
4. Personal Taste: In the end, one’s personal taste ultimately determines the shape and cut of a diamond. The shape and cut of the diamond should be chosen with your partner’s preferences in mind. A shape and cut that capture their distinct personality and style should be chosen.
View the Diamond in Different Lights
We ought to take our time examining the diamond under various lighting conditions prior to selecting the engagement ring. Seeing how a diamond appears in various settings is important because its appearance can change depending on the lighting.
Consideration should be given to the ring band’s metal composition. When set in white gold as opposed to yellow gold, for instance, a diamond might seem whiter and brighter. The diamond may have a warmer tone in yellow gold, but the white gold can bring out its color and brilliance.
Select the Perfect Metal
Let us carefully consider which metal would be best for the engagement ring band before making our final decision. A ring’s durability and overall appearance are largely determined by the metal choice. To choose the ideal metal, remember these four crucial pointers:
1. Let us examine white gold engagement rings. Due to its classic elegance and adaptability, white gold is a popular material for engagement rings. It appears bright and polished and goes well with any kind of diamond or gemstone.
2. Examine additional precious metals: Silver and platinum are excellent choices. Silver presents an economical substitute with a timeless appeal, whereas platinum is renowned for its robustness and hypoallergenic characteristics.
3. Evaluate your partner’s tastes and lifestyle when selecting a metal. Take their budget and lifestyle into account. Platinum, a more durable metal, might be a better option if they lead an active lifestyle. Search for a metal that falls into your price range while also keeping an eye on your budget.
4. Think about the look you want to achieve. Different metals have distinct effects. Rose gold is a popular option for a sleek, contemporary look. An elegant and classic look is provided by yellow gold. If you want to make sure the metal suits your partner’s taste, think about their preferences and style.
An exquisite and sentimental piece of jewelry that embodies your partner’s style and endures a lifetime can be made by carefully choosing the ideal metal for the engagement ring band.
Choosing a setting that will accentuate the ring’s beauty is the next step, so let’s get started.
Choose a Setting
To highlight the diamond in the engagement ring, let’s now think through the available settings and select the ideal one. The diamond’s setting, which keeps it firmly in place and accentuates its beauty, is a crucial component of the ring.
You can choose from a variety of setting styles, each with its own distinct feel and appearance. Solitaire, pavé, halo, channel, and tension are a few well-liked setting styles for diamond engagement rings.
For those who value simplicity, the solitaire setting is ageless and timeless. Conversely, tiny diamonds arranged closely together in a pavé setting add even more sparkle. The center diamond is surrounded by a halo of smaller diamonds in the halo setting, which produces an exquisite and glitzy look.
A sleek and contemporary appearance is achieved by the channel setting, which has diamonds placed inside a channel. The diamond is lastly held in place by the tension setting, which creates the appearance of the diamond floating by using the tension of the metal.
To make sure your partner gets a ring she’ll love, take her tastes and style into consideration when selecting a setting.
Check the Side Stone
It is important to take into account the qualities and characteristics of the side stones, however. The engagement ring’s overall beauty is greatly complemented by the diamond side stones.
When examining the side stones, remember these four important points:
1. Check that the side stones and the center diamond are of the same quality. For a harmonious appearance, they ought to have comparable clarity, color, and cut.
2. Think about the setting. Side stones should go well with the chosen setting, and engagement ring settings come in different varieties. More petite and delicate side stones, for instance, might be needed for a pavé setting with tiny diamonds all the way around the band.
3. Ensure that the side stones are the appropriate size by keeping the center diamond in mind. Their purpose is to accentuate the main stone’s beauty and brilliance, not to overpower it.
4. Examine the side stones carefully to make sure they are properly aligned and securely set. This will help you assess the craftsmanship. If you want the ring to last a long time, its craftsmanship needs to be flawless.
The perfect engagement ring with stunning diamond side stones will be easier to find if you take these things into account.
Taking into account the size is the next crucial factor to be considered after taking care of the side stones.
Consider the Size
Did we take the engagement ring’s size into account? Size is an important factor to consider when selecting the ideal band. Aside from carat weight, the center diamond’s proportions to the overall design must be properly balanced. This table discusses the various factors to take into account when choosing size in order to assist you in making an informed choice:
|Carat Weight||Determine how big or small you want the center diamond to be. Keep in mind that larger carat weights can come with a higher price tag.|
|Proportions||Ensure that the size of the center diamond complements the overall design of the ring. It should not overpower or underwhelm the other elements.|
|Finger Size||Take into account the size of your partner’s finger. A larger finger may require a larger diamond to create a balanced look.|
Budget, lifestyle, and your partner’s tastes should all be taken into account when selecting the size of the engagement ring. You can design a ring that is beautiful and meaningful by striking the right balance.
Don’t forget the Grading Report
When purchasing an engagement ring, let’s make sure we don’t overlook the importance of getting a graded report. A report that offers an unbiased evaluation of a diamond’s quality is called a diamond grading report, and it is produced by a gemological laboratory. You need to get a grading report for the following four reasons:
1. Quality Assurance: You know you’re getting what you pay for when you see a grade report. Make an educated choice by using the comprehensive details it offers regarding the diamond’s cut, color, clarity, and carat weight.
2. Transparency and Authenticity: The grading report looks to confirm that the diamond is real and hasn’t been altered or treated to make it look better. Knowing that the diamond you’re buying is real and unaltered gives you piece of mind.
3. Value and Comparison: By comparing diamonds according to their quality, you can use a grading report to determine which one is the best deal for your limited resources. It makes the qualities that affect a diamond’s cost more understandable.
4. A grading report is essential if you want a flawless diamond. Selecting a diamond with outstanding clarity will be made easier by its ability to reveal any internal or external flaws.
In the process of purchasing an engagement ring, getting a diamond grading report is crucial. Guarantee, openness, and worth are offered. Moving on to the next step of ring insurance, now that we know how important a grading report is, is what we need to do.
Insuring Your Engagement Ring
Consider your options when it comes to insurance for your engagement ring.
You can try your current policy, which may include coverage for the ring, such as renters’ or homeowners’ insurance.
If the ring is misplaced, stolen, or damaged, you can also choose to purchase an actual value policy, which will pay you back for its current market value.
An insurance policy that replaces lost or damaged rings will, on the other hand, give you a new ring of comparable quality and value.
Make sure you have the appropriate protection for your priceless ring by carefully reading the terms and coverage of each option.
Homeowners or Renters Insurance
One important step to safeguard your investment and give you peace of mind is to insure your engagement ring. Regarding homeowners or renters insurance for your priceless ring, take into account the following four crucial factors:
1. Examine your existing policy now.
Examine the coverage for jewelry, including engagement rings, under your renters or homeowners insurance policy.
Some policies might not cover high-value items or might require extra coverage.
2. Take into account a different policy
A separate jewelry insurance policy might be worth getting if your present one doesn’t offer enough coverage or if you’d prefer more specialized protection for your engagement ring.
In-depth protection against loss, damage, theft, and even disappearance may be provided by this.
3. Evaluation as well as record keeping:
Get an appraisal for your engagement ring from a respectable jeweler to guarantee adequate coverage.
Save a copy of the appraisal for your records, along with any other pertinent paperwork like receipts and certifications.
4. Specific guidelines for colored diamonds:
It’s critical to talk to your insurance company if the colored diamond in your engagement ring is present.
Because colored diamonds are so valuable and unique, they might need extra coverage or particular appraisal guidelines.
Actual Value Policies
When purchasing engagement ring insurance, we strongly advise taking actual value policies into account. In consideration of the quality and value of the diamonds in your ring, these policies offer coverage for the entire purchase price. Understanding the engagement ring’s actual value is crucial when getting insurance, particularly if it has high-quality diamonds in the colorless range.
Replacement of the ring with a diamond of comparable quality is made possible by actual value policies, which guarantee that you will receive sufficient compensation in the event that something goes wrong. With actual value insurance, you can replace your engagement ring with one of equal quality in the event of loss, theft, or damage, and you can rest easy knowing that your investment is safeguarded.
Replacement Insurance Policies
Thinking about replacement insurance policies is our best advice when it comes to ring insurance. In the event that your ring is lost, stolen, or damaged, these policies are made expressly to pay for a replacement.
Replacing an insurance policy is worthwhile for the following four reasons:
1. Peace of mind: You can rest easy knowing that your perfect diamond ring is safeguarded if you have a replacement insurance policy. Wearing it gives you the assurance that, in the unlikely event that something were to happen to it, you could replace it affordably.
2. Comprehensive coverage: Replacement insurance plans typically cover a wide range of potential occurrences, such as theft, loss, damage from accidents, and even unexplained disappearance. You can therefore be confident that you will be able to replace your ring, regardless of how it was lost or damaged.
3. Replace insurance policies do not factor in the depreciated value of your ring, in contrast to certain other kinds of insurance policies. You won’t have to settle for anything less because they will pay the entire cost of swapping out your ring for one that is comparable.
4. Options that can be customized: Replacing your current insurance policy can help you customize the coverage to meet your individual requirements. You can collaborate with your insurance provider to design a policy that satisfies your needs, whether you want to raise the coverage limits or include coverage for extra jewelry.
Replaceable insurance policies can provide you the financial stability and peace of mind you need to safeguard your priceless engagement ring. To protect your perfect diamond and guarantee that it will continue to be a symbol of your love for many years to come, think about making an investment in one.
Let’s talk about some frequently asked questions that might come up while purchasing an engagement ring now that we’ve discussed a variety of topics.
Among the FAQs are the following:
– Which type of ring is my partner into?
– What store sells morally-responsible engagement rings?
– I want to propose, but do I need a ring?
– How can I find out what size their ring is?
– What time is it appropriate for me to purchase the ring?
To aid you in making choices and guiding you through the engagement ring purchasing process, we’ll offer thorough responses to these queries.
What Ring Style Does My Partner Prefer
Have you ever wondered what kind of engagement ring your significant other prefers? As you start looking for the ideal ring, this is a crucial question to ask yourself. While trying to figure out your partner’s ring style, bear the following points in mind:
1. Be mindful of their current jewelry collection: Observe the kinds of jewelry your significant other currently owns and wears. Do they favour more elaborate and striking designs, or simpler, more subdued pieces? This may help you determine which ring style they like.
2. Take into account their way of life: ponder over their regular pursuits and employment. A lower profile ring that won’t get in the way might be preferred if they have an active lifestyle. However, a more elaborate and striking ring might be more their style if they enjoy dressing up and making a statement.
3. Seek inspiration or hints: Be mindful of any subliminal cues your significant other may give you regarding their preferred ring style. Do they tell you about a particular style they love, or do they comment on someone else’s ring? You can also look through publications or internet sites together to get an idea of their tastes.
4. Consider the style of wedding band that would complement the selected engagement ring as you browse the wide range of wedding bands. There is a wide range of options available, from traditional plain bands to intricate designs with diamonds.
Where Can I Find Ethical Engagement Rings
Investigating jewelry brands that place a high value on ethical and sustainable sourcing is advised when looking into ethical engagement rings. Find businesses that sell lab-grown diamonds, which are produced using cutting-edge technology in a regulated setting, as one choice.
In contrast to natural diamonds, these diamonds are conflict-free and more environmentally friendly. They share the same physical and chemical characteristics. Clean Origin, Brilliant Earth, and MiaDonna are a few well-known jewelry companies that specialize in ethical engagement rings.
Transparent supply chains and materials sourced ethically are key components of these brands’ commitment. Seek certifications like the Kimberly Process Certification Scheme, which guarantees that diamonds are sourced from conflict-free zones, as additional options. You can celebrate your love and do good in the world at the same time by selecting an ethical engagement ring.
|Brilliant Earth||Offers ethically sourced diamonds and gemstones. Uses recycled precious metals. Supports mining communities.|
|MiaDonna||Specializes in lab-grown diamonds and recycled precious metals. Donates a portion of profits to charity.|
|Clean Origin||Offers lab-grown diamonds and recycled precious metals. Provides a lifetime warranty.|
|Gemvara||Uses ethically sourced gemstones and recycled precious metals. Offers customized engagement rings.|
Can I Propose Without a Ring
It is quite acceptable to pop the question without a ring, even though it is customary to do so. The beautiful engagement moment itself is what many couples decide to prioritize over the ring. The following should be kept in mind if you’re thinking about popping the question without a ring:
1. Inform your partner of your intentions: Make sure they’re okay with a ringless proposal by having a conversation with them first. Being aware of one another’s expectations and being in agreement are vital.
2. Incorporate a personal touch: Rethink the ring in favor of a heartfelt gesture or a meaningful object that is significant to you both. It might be a sentimental object or heirloom jewelry, a handwritten love letter, or a piece of jewelry that has been handed down through the generations.
3. Create a moment that embodies your special relationship to make it an experience to remember. Concentrate on making the proposal special and emotional, whether it’s a romantic picnic beneath the stars, a surprise weekend away, or a meaningful activity you both love.
4. Talk openly about what comes next after the proposal to discuss the next steps. Discuss possible ways to symbolize your commitment, such as choosing a different ring or finding a way to buy it together. Regardless of whether there is a physical ring involved, never forget that what matters most is the love and connection you share.
How Do I Determine Their Ring Size
Their finger circumference can be measured or their ring size can be ascertained using a ring sizer.
You can measure their finger precisely by placing a tiny instrument called a ring sizer on it. To measure the circumference of their finger if you don’t have a ring sizer, you can use a piece of string or a paper strip.
Once the measurement is known, you can find their size by comparing it to a ring size chart.
As a representation of your love and dedication, it’s critical to make sure their engagement ring fits them properly. When choosing the ideal engagement ring, keep in mind that a well-cut diamond is necessary for a brilliant and sparkly design.
When Should I Buy the Ring for the Proposal
“When should we purchase the engagement ring for the proposal?” is one of the most frequent queries we field. Numerous factors can influence the decision of when to purchase the ring for the proposal. Consider the following points:
1. Start looking for the engagement ring at least a few months before you intend to pop the question. This way, you’ll be prepared. This will enable you to search for the ideal ring and make any required modifications in plenty of time.
2. Customization: The creation process might take longer if you intend to have a custom ring made or if you want to add particular details, like a three-stone ring. Add time for customization on top of that.
3. Getting the perfect stone might be more difficult if you’re searching for a popular diamond shape, like a round cut. In order to find the perfect diamond, you might need to give yourself more time.
4. Timing of the engagement ring purchase for the proposal is ultimately a matter of personal preference. Think about the significance of having the ring ready for the momentous occasion, your own schedule, and your financial constraints.
Making an informed choice when purchasing an engagement ring is essential for guaranteeing both financial responsibility and satisfaction, as is evident after taking into account all the significant factors.
The symbol of love, dedication, and a lifetime companionship, an engagement ring represents more than just a piece of jewelry. It’s an emotional and financial commitment of great magnitude. You can find the ideal ring that will delight your partner for years to come by being aware of the nuances of the diamond industry and taking into account your budget and preferences.
BrighterGuide is dedicated to providing accurate and relevant information as you explore the wonderful world of diamonds and jewelry. To this end, our writers refer to primary information sources in building each article that appears on this website. These include, but are not limited to, published news articles, government portals, research papers, and more.
- Gemological Institute of America. (n.d.). Gemological Institute Of America | All About Gemstones – GIA. https://www.gia.edu/
- International Gem Society LLC. (2022, October 19). International Gem Society IGS – Information and educational services for everyone interested in gemstones. International Gem Society. https://www.gemsociety.org/